Saturday, August 12, 2006

Another Year Gone

We did it. Again. We survived another year of the Shuffle, but not without some pain. My feet are killing me. But I will keep this short as I am working with three hours of sleep, and my own thoughts somethimes confuse me. So, here are some facts about the Red Wing Mississippi Shuffle that you are dying to know.

  • This year we had 74 teams participate in the Shuffle.
  • There were over 7500 Luminaria bags this year.
  • Last year we raised after all was said and done, about $139,000, this year, as of now, we have raised about $143,000. Keep in mind that some money will still trickle in for the next few weeks, so the total will probably be even more.
  • I had 13 Luminaria bags out there for me, I collected them this morning and they will be going into my cancer box (my Rubbermaid of all my cancer stuff...test results, balloons, cards, wrist bands, everything is in there).
  • Because of the population of our county, and how much money per capita that we raise, last year we ranked 8th in the nation with the American Cancer Society, we just may have beat that this year.

So there are some fun facts for you to ponder. I had said before that I thought this year would be something special, and it was. What I hadn't planned on was all of the resurfacing emotions of the loss of my friend Annette. She had a lot of bags out there, all with love and grief. I spent a good amount of time crying and hugging her family when the bags were all illuminated. I know she was watching and right in the middle of all of those hugs. She had to have been.

I am pondering joining the volunteer program for the Shuffle for next year. I want to do more. I need to do more. And speaking of doing more, thanks to all of you who donated to me this year. I raised a lot more money than last year, which of course is the goal. And I also have receipts to copy and get off to all of you for your taxes. I can't thank you enough. I hope you know how important you all are to me, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: