Monday, May 08, 2006

A New Look and The End

You may or may not have noticed that my blog looks a little different. I would love to say that it is due to a new beginning (my year long treatment ends after tomorrow), I would like to say that I had an epiphany, I would like to say that it is because with all things comes change, but I would be lying. And I try not to do that often. So what has happened, basically, is that I screwed up my other blog and I had to transfer all of my stuff onto a new template. Sounds complicated, but it wasn't really, until I tried to add a few things, but Dion helped me with that. So with no further adieu, it's my new and improved blog.

Ok, The End. Tomorrow is the day. I have my last Herceptin treatment. 51 weekly trips to Mayo. 51 weekly infusions. 51 opportunities to meet new people, and that is exactly what I have done. There are so many people at Mayo that I will miss seeing every week. So many people who have made an impact in my life, the nurses, the custodians, other patients. Did I ever mention that if I run of out Diet Coke, that Bill, the custodian brings me a can from his personal supply? You see, Mayo stocks up on Pepsi (blah) and I like Coke products. Tomorrow I will be bringing a 12 pack of Diet Coke with me to give to Bill. He has no idea what he has done for my spirits. The nurses, I couldn't list them all if I tried. Some friends I have made, Hope & Judy, fellow breast cancer patients, huge huge inspirations to me. All the way to the lady in the gift shop who lets me put my $1.07 on the counter, grab my soda, and leave without standing in line. It has been a hellava ride my friends, I am thankful for the Herceptin breakthrough, I am thankful for many things, but I will be even more thankful when my life does not revolve around medical appointments. I will be thankful when my life does not revolve around me. Sounds funny, I know, but you probably know what I mean by that.

So it will be with a bitter sweet feeling that I will go to Mayo, get my Diet Coke, go to the elevator up to the 10th floor, check in for treatment (No, I don't need a bed, yes, I have a port, 10-18-74 is my birthday--the magic questions I answer every week) and say goodbye to people I think of as my friends. I can only hope that I have had half of an impact on them, as they have had on me.

No comments: