Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Like Rock Stars

Well, I said we would do it, and we did. I got back from Ohio last night at midnight. And while the whole weekend was packed with Tricia and Sue adventures, I think I will focus on my flights since I had interesting moments with them.

On the way down, I flew into Milwaukee with a half hour layover. The next plane that I would board was a puddle jumper. A prop plane. A pack of gum with wings. So I walked down the stairs, onto the tarmac, and up the little steps into the plane where I was greeted by a guy who didn't look quite old enough to be flying a plane, let alone a plane that I was on. But, ok, I still took my little seat and made nice to the guy next to me since he was sitting the the emergency exit seat. I wanted to be one of the first one out, if need be.

So we taxi out into the runway, it was a rather smooth take off and I settled in for my hour and a half flight. But not for long. About 15 minutes into it, the Doogie Houser pilot came into the back with the 20 of us passengers, looked out one window, looked out the other and went back into the cockpit. Interesting. I knew he had his very own rather large window to look out so I figured he wasn't taking in the sights. Sure enough, a few seconds later we are told we are going back to Milwaukee, but first we have to burn off some fuel. Burn off some fuel? Don't they say that when they have to make an emergency landing? Apparently the landing gear would not go back in and it had to be fixed. I may be off here on what was actually going on, because it seems to me that a landing gear would not be out for take off, but again, I know nothing about airplanes.

So we burn off 15 minutes of fuel, fly the 15 minutes back to Milwaukee, and wait for them to fix the plane. So blah blah blah they fix the plane and we are off again. The rest of the flight was uneventful, which was good, and I landed in Ohio ready for fun.

Ok. Now the flight home. If you could even believe it, this pilot was even younger than the first. Have you ever seen Catch Me if You Can? Frank Abegnale Jr was flying MY plane. He looked like a teenager with his little dimples and boyish smile. I looked at the guy next to me and said "Well. what do you think? How old?" He thought maybe 21 or 22. Really. Good God. When I checked in, and didn't realize until it was way too late (as in I am states away from Ohio) that the check in person put my baggage claim ticket/sticker onto the part of my plane ticket that they collect. In Milwaukee they tell me that my baggage will not make it to MN and I will have to call the baggage claim people in the morning and they will have it shipped to me. No baggage. That means no hair dryer with the diffuser, which means my hair will be a tad wider than normal. That also means no make-up, no other hair supplies, no new shoes I bought. Dang it! Well, there was nothing I could do at that time since they were already boarding my next plane for MN. Great. I had to practically run to the gate and hope I make it on time. I did, but I was the second to last one on the plane. I had to kick a lady out of my seat, and of course I thought they had over-booked, but she was just in the wrong seat. That flight went pretty well, we got cookies, pretzels, and soda, which was more than I thought we would get. And the cookies were warm. Mmmmm. About 15 minutes from landing, my nose runs the kind of run that you know is going to be blood. And it was. What a wonderful way to top off my flying experiences. I asked for napkins, and it actually stopped pretty quick. I think my poor sinuses had had enough. They were done and wanted me to know as much. But on a good notw, my bag did make it to MN so I don't have to worry about how I am going to keep my hair under control. That's a good thing.

My weekend in Ohio was a blast. I had wonderful food all weekend, met a lot of nice people, and of course, partied like a rock star with Patsy Poopy Head. The ceremony was very good, very moving. It was neat to see all of those people walking after all of the hard work they put into their masters. It was even neater to see the families cheering them on. I also got to see Tricia's parents whom I hadn't seen in so so long. It was a good time. It has gone down in my book as one to remember. Thanks again PPH!!!

No comments: