Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Insert Theme From Rocky Here

I did it. There were days that I wanted to throw in the towel, days that I did not want to leave my house, days that I really really thought I should be doing anything BUT going to Mayo, again, week after week after week. But I did it. I did the 51 weeks of treatment, and today said some goodbyes. Well, not really goodbyes since I will be going back every month for my study shot, but you know what I mean.

I decided that my onc wanted me to hang around for a while, since he never did sign my orders for Herceptin and my study shot. My appointment that was for 11:30am, was finally over at 2:30. Keep in mind the infusion is a half an hour long. I told the nurses I was just going to keep eating the free snacks until we could call it even. But, waiting around for that long wasn't all that bad. I got to talk to Hope, my newest Mayo friend, for actually a good amount of time. She is a walking inspiration, I feel honored to now have her in my life. I got to shoot the poop with Bill, and hand over the 12 pack of diet coke, which he said he wouldn't take. I told him I was just going to leave it then, and he changed his mind. He gave me one for the road, I treasure the people I have met. So, I got a present from Hope, one from Dion, a pin from Mayo that they give out to you when you complete chemo that says "Celebrate Life". Then I went out to eat with Beth, and on the drive home, not only did we see a full, most vibrant colored rainbow, but right below it was another one. A double rainbow. I will never forget today, and years from now I hope to look back on this day and smile and have my heart be warmed. I did get some pictures, so I will share with you.

Thank you for all of the support this past year, actually the past 2 years since diagnosis. I am ready to be done with cancer, even though reality says that I never will be. I saw it described today in a blog belonging to Dana, a Sister In Survivorship, and it was worded so perfectly, that I have to quote her on it....


"The thing about cancer is for a long time people will ask you, "But you're ok now, right?" Honestly, when you non-cancers aren't listening, we survivors vent about it to each other. Because what people don't know is that having cancer does to your life what too much stretching does to a rubber band--it just never goes back to the way it was. It's just...different. Forever. Irrevocably. And it takes far longer than anyone would imagine to pull all the pieces into a semblance of order after a blow like that. It takes even longer to really find yourself, long after "the cancer" dust has settled for everyone else."

She is such a poetic writer, and knows her stuff. So, all that is left is to post some pictures so you can meet the people I have had close contact with for the past year. I will owe them for life....

No comments: