Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Tad Emotional

I had my pre-op doctor's appointment today with Beth. Before you can have a procedure, you have to have a clean bill of health. Now keep in mind that last Thursday and Friday Claire had the flu, last night Nadia had a fever, and as I type this at 7:30pm, Dion is in bed. I am doing my best to stay healthy, which is a hard thing to do when you are surrounded by sickies. I think my best bet is to run around the house spraying disinfectant on everything. Phones, remotes, door handles, my body. Anything to keep me healthy for Friday. For you see, Friday is the big day. The day of new nubbins, the day of highbeams, the day I will be smuggling raisins again, the day I done get myself a new pair of nipples. Yahh-hoooo! Apparently I am pretty excited. I know this not only because of what I am writing, or the speed that I talk about it, but also because of my appointment today.

I have been blessed with my mom's side of the family's low blood pressure. The only times it has ever been high have been in stressful situations. I should throw in here when I gave birth to Claire (can you say HELL?), my blood pressure dropped to 90/50, which they kind of frown upon. But my God, I earned that blood pressure, and I think it was trying to balance me for when Claire was older and she is sending my blood pressure through the roof. Anyway, I go in today and have to have the vitals, etc done. Hmm. 130/100. That can't be right. That's awfully high for me. She tried it again. Hmm. 132/100. Well crap, it got worse. And just for fun, I had Beth do it again. Same darn thing. She encouraged me to give my oncologist a call since I am still in treatment, so I did. Poor Dr Goetz. I told him before that I was a bad penny penny, for which he replied, "No, you're more like a wooden nickel." Our conversation went something like this...

"So I was told to call you about my blood pressure, and I actually listened."

"Ok, I don't think that Herceptin has been proven to cause high blood pressure."

"Ok, so here's the thing. I had a pre-op visit and I am supposed to get nipples on Friday and I think, in my professional opinion, that I am just excited to have nipples."

Silence.

"Uhh....no comment."

Huh. There's that fine little line that I think he felt he should not cross, never mind that every time I go in for an exam there's more groping going on than in the produce isle. Gotta love breast cancer.

No comments: