Saturday, April 15, 2006

Adventures in The Bathroom

Ah, the toilet training years. If you have walked this delicate walk, I commend you. I will say that we have had a little break in the whole Training Adventure, but we needed it after Claire. We need quite a few breaks after many things that Claire does. Her sense of adventure never sleeps, she insists on learning things the hard way, and she is so funny at times that I just don't know how to respond to some of the things she says. But, like everything else Claire does, Nadia needs to do too. And while the whole training adventure with Nadia has been a little easier, it is none the less work.

"Mommy, I poopy. I need to go pah-eeee!"

This is said AFTER she has pooped and she doesn't understand that we really need to deal with that issue before meandering to the potty. But that is another story. Let's get back to Claire....

I will admit to having the huge fear of losing the security of diapers and pull ups. The fear of yellow river a flowin' in public. I can deal with it at home, I have cleaning supplies, lots of clothes, but no dignity since I don't need it at home. But at say, Walmart, the fear of hearing "Clean up in the toy department" haunts me. You can understand then, my hesitation when we take the girls to the nursery at church. A yellow river at church? What could be more nerve racking than that? The thought of someone tapping me on the shoulder during the service because of Claire making a different type of donation, is something my little brain just can't delete. So here's what I do. Claire and I make a pit stop in the potty before service as to try to elude the pee pee dance for strangers. Here's one of our experiences....

The bathroom by the nursery has yellow walls, which I find ironic, and just one stall. That from get go is enough to make a waiting toddlers mother nervous. But ok, we can deal with that. Claire had already argued that she didn't have to go, so the wait should be ok. I am also trying to impress on the fact that people really don't like seeing upside down heads of children at their feet while they are try to do their thing. That is a work in progress. So of course, Claire bends at the waist and takes a peek. She pops up and says,

"There are two girls in there."

To which I respond....SHHHHHHH! One day Claire will understand the importance of bringing a friend with you to the bathroom, but I might have to suggest that she go into the stall alone. Although, I suppose there's the possibility that the girls were sisters. Who knows?

They finish up and come out to wash their hands, and Claire and I go into the stall. I get her all prepared to use the potty, when she proclaims,

"PEEEE-YOU!!! It stinks in here! It smells like poopy! Yuck! PEEEE-YOU!!"

It was obvious that the dual potty girls had, umm, well, made a donation, and yes, I was amazed at the aroma, but after Claire said that out loud, with the girls still in the room, I had to cover my mouth. I didn't want to laugh out loud and take the risk of giving them a complex so they can never poop in public again, I am certain that some point in my life that happened to me, and I still carry that fear with me, although I am getting better. Yes, I know, too much information. But we should be sensitive for those of us out there, and I have a feeling that there is more of us out there than people will admit to.

Anyway, Claire never did go potty that time, which was ok with me because we really did need to get out of there if for no other reason, so I could laugh out loud. And that was one of our many Adventures in The Bathroom. I know you envy me.......

No comments: