Friday, June 22, 2007

In the Still of the Night

It was a little past midnight last night when I stepped outside. Everyone else was sleeping inside, so I took the opportunity to enjoy nature. I was kind of hoping to get another good storm, minus the hail, because I love a good storm. But I got something much better than a storm. I was sitting on the front step, taking in the night, when I saw a movement in the dark. I sat as still as I could, to see what would happen. Across the street, a deer was walking down the driveway, and into the street, heading up the hill.

Once the deer got into the light of the streetlight, she picked up the pace and trotted up the road. That is, until she got back into the darkness, then she went back to walking. I was amazed at the sight. She knew that to be in the light, even artificial light, was dangerous for her. I can still hear the sounds of her hooves clicking on the street. Nature has, and always will, remain close to my heart.

No comments: