Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Quick Quick Update

I went to Mayo with my parents today, and really we don't know a whole lot more than we did yesterday. We know that he has Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and that it is stage 4. Tomorrow morning they are doing a bone marrow biopsy and a CT guided biopsy of one of his lymph nodes. Friday morning they are doing a PET scan, which is when you are injected with a glucose type of radioactive solution. They have you wait for about an hour and then the test itself takes about another hour. I have had three of these, and they are fairly painless, just long and boring. All of these results will be ready by his appointment on Monday, which I will be going to with them. They are staying in Rochester for the next two nights since his tests are rather early in the morning. You are probably wondering why he has to have these tests done if they know it is Lymphoma. Well, the tests will tell them if it is one of two possible types. To get the correct treatment, they have to know what they are dealing with. I think we all are happy with his doctor, very pleasant, very good at explaining things, just an overall good guy.

I guess that's it for now. If you want to do more research on the two types, they are called...

Follicular Lymphoma and

Diffuse large B-cell Lymphoma

We will know by Monday which kind he has and what will happen next. Oh, I forgot, they are also giving him steriods for the crappy side effects he has been dealing with for the last few months. He can have those after his biopsies, and the doctor says that it will make him feel like a new man. Pray that he is right.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Have they done anything about the fluid yet? I'm not even sure what (if anything) can be done for it. I hope the steroids help him out! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

~Amalia~

Shari said...

I've been catching up on your blog. Sorry to hear about the lymphoma. I hope he's getting more comfortable now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care. Get some rest.