Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Good Old March

I am here to go on record that I was right. We did NOT get 6-8 inches of snow yesterday. We got 12-18 inches. I have never missed work due to weather. I have gone home early, but I have never not been able to get to work. Until yesterday. I gunned the minivan out of the driveway and proceeded to get stuck in the street. That was the end of that. Claire asked why the van was broken. So there I was, hauling the girls back into the house for a snow day.

Dion had called a little after 7AM to tell me he was stuck but a guy was helping him shovel his way out. That was the last I heard from him, until 4 hours later. Keep in mind, I had our scanner on listening for crashes, which I heard plenty of, but also heard that they had closed some roads in town (which were the roads that Dion would have been on). I called his work to see if they had heard from him. Nope. Great. I got a glimpse of the helpless feelings that I am sure Dion has had watching me go through treatments and surgeries. I could look out the window and see my van right there, but I could do nothing. I couldn't go look for him, I couldn't contact him, I had no idea if he was ok or in a ditch or just diving blind in the often white out conditions. I felt useless, helpless, and scared.

He walked through the door a little over four hours after I first talked to him. WOOOSH! In case you didn't know, that is the sound relief makes when it hits your body. He was soaked literally head to toe, freezing, and had to walk from the end of our street since they hadn't plowed our road yet and the car couldn't make it through. What an adventure. I will put this part in because I think this guy will have his payback any time now...a guy pulled over to help Dion and said,

"Money talks, bullsh*t walks." And after a half hearted attempt to help Dion, he left. What a wonderful person. Someone whose parents are very proud of, I'm sure. Idiot.

So that was our day yesterday. I was lucky enough to have our neighbor snow blow me out of the street before the plows came. I have to admit that I did burn some rubber, only after the insistence of my neighbor....

"Gun it like you mean it!!!!"

Yikes! Ok! I think I wore off a layer of my tires. So, I am getting ready to go to treatment (7 weeks left!!) and hopefully the roads won't be too bad. It's sunny out now, so maybe a lot of the ice melted. In any case, I don't really want to go out today, but I must. Then I have to get ready for Nadia's birthday party this weekend. Two years old......where did my baby go?

No comments: