Sunday, February 13, 2005

You've got to accentuate the positive.....

As my one year cancerversary approaches, I find myself having a very broad spectrum of emotions. Disbelief that a whole year has passed, happiness that I am still around to see it, but there are also some not so nice feelings that have been creeping up in me. I've had a hard time figuring it out, since I really should be happy that things are going well, blah blah blah, but there is so much more to cancer than meets the eye. It's like an onion, if you will. Peel one layer, and there's 500 more to go through. Each layer is different. Some good, some bad. Anyway, so since I was feeling a little in the dumps, I decided to make my list of things that have been a positive experience since being diagnosed with cancer.

1. I have met some wonderful people...in the medical field along with people in the support groups on the internet that I go to.
2. I am so much more knowledgeable about cancers and their effects on people. It's not black and white in the least bit. In fact, I'd say it's mostly grey.
3. We've had so many vistitors in the past year....all of my family and friends are in it for the long haul.
4. Ok, don't judge me.....but when we get phone calls from people wanting money, I do have to admit that I play the cancer card. I explain that I was diagnosed with cancer and all of our money is going to that, which isn't a lie, but it gets them off my back. Except this one guy, what a turkey, he did one of these..."Ok, how about a smaller amount? $15.00? $10.00?"
5. When I meet my out of pocket expense, I don't have to worry about getting more medical bills, insurance covers the rest.
6. I am doing some things that I normally would be too nervous to do.
7. I have learned to take help from people when they offer.
8. I have learned that my husband is all that I ever thought he was, but so much more on levels I didn't think about because I didn't need to think about them. He is the bravest person I know.
9. I learned I can handle way more than I ever thought I could.
10. Every time I am in the hospital, I get that fabulous, wonderful, most delicious grape juice they have. I suppose I could go over there any time and get some from the cafeteria, but it's much better when someone brings it to you :)
11. I am more organized...you have to be when you get sick. You have to keep track of all the tests, parking fees and mileage for taxes, I would be lost without my calendar.

Ok, I am sure there are more, and maybe I will post later. But right now we have some friends that we haven't seen in over a year that are going to be visiting. I can hardly wait! Have a good one, and try to see the good in the bad. It helps sometimes.

No comments: