Thursday, February 03, 2005

My love, my hero, my caregiver, my friend

We first met way back when in 1993 at Carthage College. I couldn't for the life of me remember his name...I knew it was different, I knew I had a little to drink that night, I knew he was quiet, but damn! What was his name?!? It was a small school, and we saw each other more and more around campus. We became close friends. We ate Nachos and watched re-runs of Chips together. We went for walks, we bummed smokes from each other, he held the garbage can for me after a night of drinking. And all the while, we were just friends. No dating, no kissing, no nothing. Just being. The summer came and we both ened up dating other people. To make a long story short, 2 weeks before graduation (yes, 4 years later), he asked me, "Have you ever thought about there being an us?". I was floored. Of course I had, but I said "what?" anyway...I'm mean. A year later we were married, Sept 26th 1998, On Dec 5th 2001 I had a miscarriage, on Sept 26th 2002, Claire was born, on March 17th 2004 I was diagnosed with breast cancer (8 months pregnant), and on March 19th 2004, Nadia was born. A long way from our nacho eating, Chips watching days.

This man I married, he did all the right things through my labor and deliveries, he stood by me as I made the decision to have a double mastectomy, he carried my cath bag after my surgeries, he changed dressings, held on to my drainage tubes when I got dressed (yes, basically he has carried all of my bodily fluids for me), cried with me, laughed with me, loved me. I'm not sure if the guys I had dated in the past would have done what he has done for me. He has been my lifesaver, and I love him more than anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue,Mynette put me on to your site and I am glad all is finally getting better for you and your wonderful family. It is great to see that infectious smile back on your face.God be with you, Mr G