Friday, February 17, 2006

The Dreaded Words I Didn't Mind Hearing

"I told you so"


That was what was said to me by my friend, my doctor, Beth. The port is not cracked, the tubing is kinked. Of course it is! That is the reason I have to lay in odd positions to get the port to infuse at all. Holy smokes! 12 more treatments to go.3 months. Mark this date on your calendar.....May 9th. That's my last treatment. I told Beth I would be in on May 10th to have the port removed. We are still "discussing" that issue. The saga continues.

So I am reading a new book that I really have to tell you about. There may be someone in your life (besides me) who has been caught by the breast cancer demon, and maybe you are thinking that you really want to understand everything that they are going through, but you can't, which makes sense, unless you have been through it. I have read books about detection, treatment, coping, surviving, and boobs in general. Then I found this one. As I am getting closer to the end of my treatment, I also know what I am getting closer to based on previous experiences. Fear. Anxiety. Let down. Sadness.

That doesn't make much sense to you, does it? Here's the thing, there is so much good information out there about breast cancer, but a limited amount about how life is once treatment is over. But I found this book....

After Breast Cancer by Hester Hill Schnipper

She was a breast cancer social worker before being diagnosed, so she knows her stuff. I am 60 pages in, and I have high lighted similar feelings/thoughts I have had in this whole experience and I am floored at how accurate, for me, that this book reads.

Anyway, this is as close as I can get to helping anyone who has not lived it, understand it. It's a good book, so even if it's not something you want to read, if you have someone who is coming close to the end of their treatments, give it to them. They will thank you for it.

No comments: