Sunday, January 24, 2010

Invasion of Little Girls

Now, if goes without saying that I truly love my husband. He makes me laugh, he makes me grind my teeth, and he is super duper at making me shake my head. Which was evident this past week when he said,

"Hey, let's have the girls each invite a friend over to spend the night!"

Of course, than one has to wonder about me, since I said, "Yeah, that would be fun!"

For a moment I was taken back to the days of my own sleepovers at friends houses, or when they would sleep over at my house. They were so much fun! We would stay up late and laugh about dumb things, eating junk food all night, relishing in the thought of our faux freedom. We could stay up late. We could watch movies. We could TP the neighbors house. Wait. Never mind. We never ever TP'd the neighbors house. Or the house a few blocks away. Nope. Never.

So yeah, I was in agreement that the girls would have fun, not thinking about when I had sleepovers, I was a wee bit older than the girls are now. That fact seemed to have escaped my mind. But, the invites were out, there was no going back now.

And then we had 2 five year olds and 2 seven year olds jumping around the living room singing along to Alvin and the Chipmunks, and of course the Chipettes. And by jumping around, I mean they have better dance moves than I could ever dream of. I saw hair being twirled around, I saw gyrations, I saw cartwheel attempts, but most of all, I heard singing. And more singing.

There was also watching of The Wizard of Oz with popcorn and juice boxes. We were assured by Nadia that the whole movie was not in black and white, but became more fun when the door of the house was opened in the land of Oz.

There was coloring with markers and crayons, and for some reason the theme of the art work was "The World" which they all drew with lots of concentration.

Then when we tried to get them to all go to bed, it was like playing Whack a Mole. One kid would sit up (they all slept on the pull out couch in the living room), ask for something, we would oblige, they would lay down in time for the next one to pop their head up and ask for something. This went on for about 20 minutes until finally, after 11PM, there was silence from the living room. They all had finally gone to sleep. I proceeded to stay up until after 2:30AM for some reason, and paid the price the next day. Not only did I have to deal with crabby tired children, but they had to deal with a crabby tired mom. It all comes out in the wash.

1 comment:

Ms. Heather said...

Wow! Your sleepover sounded like a success. Amelia just had 9 girls sleep over Friday night. I thought 5 would be too young but it was actually good because they were not able to stay up all night. All asleep by 1am. Not bad. I remember our sleepovers. I made the girls watch Annie. I had to relive my childhood a bit!