Thursday, May 06, 2010

Discoveries

I've had many thoughts lately of death. Not mine, but with it being almost the second anniversary of my dad dying, the recent cancer mets to my friend, more people I know being diagnosed...it never seems to end.

One thing that was mentioned when my dad was fighting his fight was a stem cell transplant. A very controversial topic to many. There is no black and white when it comes to stem cells. How could there be when there are so many emotions involved? Do I believe that people should produce babies for the sole purpose of harvesting stem cells? In no way, shape, or form. But, something that I have recently learned from this stem cell website is that scientists have figured out how to convert adult stem cells into what appears to have the properties of an embryos stem cells. How amazing is that? Of course I am more prone to thinking of cancer patients when it comes to this, like this article about an actress named Lisa Ray but I know stem cells can be used for other people who have medical issues.

In this video there is a lot of good information regarding adult stem cells, not embryonic stem cells. Talking about the medical and science professions making strides. The video is a little lengthy, but certainly worth the time for the education it provides.

Anyway, all we can hope for in this world is finding ways to reduce the suffering, without causing more suffering. I can't imagine being a woman who gets pregnant to donate her embryo. I lost a baby before Claire. The thought of doing that just about makes me sick. So when I saw that there are positive alternatives, I thought, "Right on, Scientists. Right on."

Can you imagine where we will be in another 25-30 years?

No comments: