Friday, July 25, 2008

What if the Cricket Comes Back?

The girls have a very intense fear of bugs. They will pick up worms and play with them for a long time, but if a ladybug comes around....helter skelter. We were at my parents house the other day and they came running upstairs yelling about a bee. I went to save the day and found that it was a mushed cricket. Nadia kept asking what if it comes back, over and over. I told her that once something is dead, it does not come back. I repeated it a few times to kind of plant the seed about when my dad dies because I didn't think they fully understood. Nadia paused for a moment and said, "Poor cricket." She got it.

Last night it was my turn to bring Nadia to bed, which means we read stories together and snuggle and talk about how our day has been. We had finished reading and I decided to bring up my dad. I asked her how she felt about grandpa being sick. Tears formed in her little eyes, her brow furrowed, and she said, "I will miss grandpa when he dies. I love my grandpa." There we were in her bed, both of us consoling each other as we cried for at least a half an hour. She is going to have a very hard time with this. She has always been close to my dad, snuggling whenever she could, eating food off of his plate, falling asleep in his lap. I mourn for her and her upcoming loss.

3 comments:

E. Chikeles said...

That makes me cry.

Eliza Brock said...

Just catching up on your blog woman. I am sorry. I don't know what else to say. It was so true about your post earlier about acting strong as to not make others uncomfortable. It is interesting how you switch into being the comforter when you're the sick one, huh? Not fair.
I like your tattoo. :-) Keep your chin up.

Jay said...

That is sad. It reminds me of a movie called Wide Awake.