Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy Pukey New Year!

Now at first glance, it may seem that I am being negative about this new year that has graced our presence, but really I am not. It really has been a pukey year thus far. In fact, the barf-o-rama started of course on New Year's Eve. I have gone on record that I will never take another mixed drink made by our neighbor. Beer? Anyday. White Russian? Never again. Of course, he seems to think that I am lying and will fall in to his temptation of fine liquor. So here's how the past week has gone.....

New Year's Eve.....Dion, Claire, Nadia, & I are invited next door for a little get together with other young parents and their kids. Shortly after arriving, Claire is complaining of a tummy ache, and her eyes are looking kind of funny. Long story short, Dion takes her home, I stay with Nadia. At this point there are about 10-12 kids at the party all under 7. Fertile Myrtles in this town. So Nadia and I hang out for a while, I call next door to see how Claire is doing...yadda yadda yadda, it's time for Nadia to go to bed. I walk her next door, put her in bed, and get the "all clear" to go back next door from Dion. Blah blah blah....White Russian, White Russian, beer, beer, go home (there could have been one or two more beers in there, I'm not sure). Claire wakes up, so I go up to her room and snuggle with her for a bit. Then it hits. Gurgle gurgle gurgle. The White Russians and the Beers are in combat with each other, having no sympathy for the innocent bystander (me), and the ending result is that no one is the winner. So I swish some water in my mouth and brush my teeth and go back to Claire who at this point wants to go into our bed. Okey-dokey. Dion is asleep on the couch, so it's off to our room Claire and I go. Zzzzz.....zzzzz.....zzzzz...."MOMMY!" YAK! Hmmm. And in our bed. I clean her up roll up all the sheets, and we head back downstairs to the couch. Dion heads upstairs to the spare room and we all sleep the rest of the night away.

New Year's Day.....Claire and I are out of commission, Claire with a fever, I with a hangover. We spend the day on the couch....literally....and eventually all is well. Claire is feeling better, I am feeling not too shabby, just in time for a post-Christmas get together with my parents, sister, and uncle the next day.

2nd Day of the New Year.....Talk talk talk....eat eat eat....open gifts open open....ahhhh....relax after a nice meal cooked by my better half. Fast forward a few hours when my tummy starts feeling not so good. Hmm. A familiar feeling. I tell Dion of my woes, and at 8:00 PM he goes out for Pepto for me. He was about 5 minutes too late. I don't think I have ever been that violently ill. And that whole meal Dion cooked, made a second appearance. Ugh. I go to bed.

3rd Day of the New Year.....more puke, screaming cha cha's, puke, cha cha, etc etc etc. I called Mayo to cancel my treatment for the day, and the lady of the phone said "Should we re-schedule for tomorrow?" And I am thinking, ok, an hour drive each way....do I bring a bag to barf in or a portable toilet to cha cha in, or both? I opted to call the next day if I felt better. My mom came over like she does every Tuesday, but instead of me leaving, I kept the bed from levitating all day long. Again, I mean literally. I got up to hit the bathroom a few times and to get some water, but that was it. What would I do without that mother of mine?

4th Day of the New Year....I go back to work and snack on crackers all day as my tummy is not 100% quite yet. And might I add here, that when we discussed the last surgery I had, we didn't talk about the difficulty in puking when you are missing those stomach muscles. I am convinced that is the reason of the violent-ness of the flu. I had to work harder to get everything out. Anyway, I went to Mayo in the afternoon, and proclaimed that I was NEVER going to get a flu shot ever again (this was my first year getting it...I have had the flu twice in the past month). And stop thinking to yourself, "Well the flu shot really is for blah blah blah......" I've heard it. It doesn't change the fact that I haven't had the flu like this in a long time, and my mind is made up.

So there you have it. Our New Year of Puke. Hopefully we are done with it, I don't think I could handle much more of the vomiting scene. And now I have to go to bed since I have to get up at 4:30 AM to go to work.

No comments: